Why Plant Churches?The Apostle Paul did it...
Paul planted the Christian message everywhere he went! In his wake, he left a string of churches to continue the ministry he had begun. This Spirit-empowered man targeted the chief cities of his day for bold evangelistic outreach. From those primary centers the good news of Christ radiated out to other communities. In fact, it is said of the Thessalonian church, “your faith in God has become known everywhere!”Our Lord Commands it...
The Great Commission vision, “go and make disciples,” involves pursuing, evangelizing, and discipling lost people. The early church sought to put into practise this command by planting new churches. A study of the missionary journeys recorded in Acts reveals that they, in fact, were church-planting forays into what was predominantly a pagan culture. Consequently, if the church is to obey its Saviour and implement this commission mandate, it is imperative that it start significant churches that are led by visionary leaders. If our churches are to reach the great cities of Canada, they cannot do it by themselves. Instead, they must multiply by starting a network of dynamic, biblically based churches.It’s Time To Do it again!
Our cities and towns are in desperate need of a new generation of ministry and church-planting initiators. We are surrounded by large, unchurched populations. Therefore, we must not only evangelize, we must also plant new churches which are dynamic centres of evangelistic and disciple-making influence. Adding converts is not enough. Multiplying churches is the key!!
Impact Ministry Group exists to establish church-planting churches starting with Canada. Beginning in the Greater Toronto Area, our goal is to establish clusters of new churches radiating into other communities throughout Southern Ontario, and then across Europe.
The day for pioneering is not over. It’s time for a new generation to echo the words of Paul, “It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation.”A Case for Planting Churches
The need to plant churches in Canada is great. The following statistics help to confirm the need for more new churches. We strongly believe that “The single most effective evangelistic methodology under heaven is planting new churches." As a percentage of evangelical churches to the population, Canada is one of the most unchurched countries in the world!
- In Canada there are close to 24 million people who do not have a personal relationship with Christ!
- Nearly 82% of all Canadians have no meaningful church relationship!
- According to Outreach Canada demographic research, only 18% of Canadians attend church regularly. In urban centers like Toronto, only 5% of the population can be categorized as consistent church attendees!
- No single city or province in Canada has a greater percentage of churched people today than a decade ago.
- Among existing churches in Canada, 80% are characterized as plateaued, declining, or disintegrating.
- To have one evangelical church for every 1,000 people, in Ontario alone 8,594 new churches would need to be planted!
- Evangelical churches have failed to gain an additional 2% of the Canadian population in the past 50 years. In other words, we are not even reaching our own children!
- Evangelical planting (1.6% annually) falls behind population growth (1.9% annually).
- North America is the ONLY continent where Christianity is not growing!
- 230,000 new Canadians have immigrated annually during the last decade. The majority are Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist or Confucian – the “mission field” is here.
- Canadians dying without Christ: 165,000 souls each year.